Your Name (Kimi no Na wa-君の名は) directed by Makoto Shinkai and released in 2016 is a beloved award winning anime romantic story about two teenagers whose paths become intertwined with each other. This is my brother’s favorite movie and last month we finally watched it together and I instantly fell in love with this film. I was not expecting the emotions it would evoke and just how beautiful the story was. When we decided to do Anime August I knew I had to make something from this film. Below you will find the full recipe I used when making the Croquette Egg Salad Sandwich that way you can follow along during the video and make your own! Be sure to tag us on Instagram or Twitter if you decide to make this and tell us how your’s turned out!
- 8 large eggs (4 for egg wash, 4 for egg salad)
- 1 tbsp Japanese mayo
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1-2 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- Loaf of bread of your choice
- Leafs of lettuce (optional)
- Salt pepper to taste
- Bring two pots of water to a boil (1 pot for the eggs and 1 pot for the potatoes.
- While the water boils, wash and peel the potatoes then quarter them into chunks.
- Once both pots of water are boiling add the eggs and potatoes to their respective pot and cover. Boil until fully cooked.
- While the eggs and potatoes cook, finely chop the onion and add that, 1 tbsp of oil, and ground beef to a skillet. Cook until brown then drain the grease.
- Once the eggs are done, place them in an ice bath to cool. Peel once cooled and add them to a bowl and mash them up.
- Add mayo, mustard, salt and pepper to the mashed eggs, mix and refrigerate until needed.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, drain them and then add them to a large bowl. Mash them, add salt and pepper to taste and the ground beef mixture. Mix and combine well.
- Let the potato mixture cool and then form into ovals. Place on a baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Once the croquettes have chilled take them and dredge them for frying (flour–egg wash–panko). Set aside to fry.
- Once the croquettes have been breaded, add 1-2 cups of vegetable oil (depending on the size of your frying pot/pan) and heat it. Drop a few pieces of panko to test if it is ready, if they start to sizzle it’s ready to fry.
- Fry the croquettes until golden brown 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside on a cooling rack.
- Take two slices of bread, spread the egg salad mixture on both sides. Add lettuce if you wish. Take 1-2 croquettes and add to the sandwich.
- Plate up and enjoy!